2009 Centerlines Articles
2012| 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000
Issue #243 December 23, 2009
* NCBW, a Year in Review
* IPA Guide Being Updated for 2010
* In 2010: the Meek Shall Inherit the Streets
* All Aboard the Data Collection Train
* NJDOT Adopts a Complete Streets Policy
* Peirce on Transportation Policy Evolution
* 2010 Transportation Planning Excellence Awards
* NIH to Spend $37M in Obesity Battle
* Catch the David Engwicht World Tour 2010!
* UK Study: Few Car/Bike Crashes Caused by Bicyclists
* Seeking Low-Income Diverse Community SRTS Examples
* Cycling to School Triples in Wales
* 2010 Active Living Research Conference: Feb. 9-11
* Start Planning for the 2010 Walk21 Conference!
* Funds Short to Make Streets Walkable
* UK 20 mph Campaign Picks up Speed
Issue #242 December 9, 2009
* New Blumenauer Bill: High School SRTS
* Girls Try Bikes, Discover New Freedom
* Big Cities Urge Bike-Friendly Streets
* Feds' Highway Safety Improvement Program Under-obligated
* Bikes Belong Awards $50,000 in Grants
* Got Tales of Bicycle's Role in Disaster Recovery?
* Leading Lab Tests Cheap and Expensive Bike Helmets
Issue #241 November 25, 2009
* Trans Sect'y Lahood Endorses Complete Streets
* Register for the 2010 National Bike Summit!
* Bikes Belong Study: Benefits of Recreational Road Rides
* Dutch Cabinet Finalizes Kilometer Tax Plan
* Health Impact Project Grant Opportunity
* Working Out on the Way to Work
* Is There a "Button Park" in Your Future?
* Carbon Emissions and Obesity Rates
Issue #240 November 11, 2009
* "Dangerous by Design" Report: Solving Epidemic of Preventable Pedestrian Deaths
* The National Center for Bicycling & Walking: What You May Not Know
* 2009 Walk to School Day Sets Record for Participation
* The Impact of Transportation Infrastructure on Bike Crashes, Injuries
* Video of Jane Jacobs Talk in 2000
* Call for Applications for 2010-2011 State Network Project
* Jakarta Should Improve Sidewalk Quality
* SRTS Webinar: the Real Cost of School Siting
* Is "Jaywalking" the Problem?
* Paris' Velib Bike Share Program Faces Challenges
* Orillia (ON) Kids, Parents Want Sidewalks
Issue #239 October 28, 2009
* Victoria (BC) Advocates Honor Susie Stephens
* NCBW Helps Alabama Cities Plan Complete Streets
* Measuring Community Walkablity – Walk 21 Report
* Understanding Human Movement in 8,000 BC & Now
* How Traffic Jams Help the Environment
* Access Board's Fed Outdoor Area Guidelines Coming
* Webinar: Planning Complete Streets for Aging America
* League Announces Fall Bicycle Friendly Awards
* Crosswalks & Ped Safety Webinar
* Boomers Taking to the "Lifestyle Bikes"
* Nova Scotia Cyclists Seek Safer Routes, Driver Ed
* CNT, Front Seat Add New Features to Walk Score
* Group Gets Google to Add Bike Stuff to Maps
Issue #238 October 15, 2009
* Walk21 NYC Debriefing Report
* American Idle Book Tour Continues in Washington DC
* APBP's Professional Development Seminars At Walk21
* Bicycle Commuting Trends, 2000 to 2008
* Survey: Retailers Value and Support Bike Advocacy
* Learn by Example from Award Winning SRTS Program
* APBP Lifetime Achievement Award...and More!
* Walk Score Walkability Tool to Go Open Source
* UK Speed Limiter Firm Aims to Target Motorists
* Free Webinar: Advocacy Strategies for Bike/Ped Proponents
* Day of Climate Action: 2,250 Events, 152 Countries
* APBP Webinar: Bike and Ped Signs, Markings and Experiments
Issue #237 September 30, 2009
* CDC’s Grant Opportunity for Improving Community Health Through Physical Activity
* House Passes Surface Transportation Extension
* "American Idle" Author Promotes "Move Movement"
* FHWA Looking for Bike/Ped/Health Research Ideas
* What Makes Europe Greener than the U.S.?
* PBS Interviews Dr. Yvonne Sanders-Butler
* Coming Soon: PBIC Web-Based Video Library
* Ready for the People Powered Movement Photo Contest?
Issue #236 September 16, 2009
* Countdown to Chattanooga's Pro Walk/Pro Bike 2010
* Challenge to Transportation Enhancements Defeated!
* Send a "Dear Congress" SRTS Letter
* Enrique Penalosa New President of Itdp
* International Walk to School Day is October 7!
* 2nd National SRTS Conference a Huge Success
* Up! Magazine Ranks Canada's Top 10 Walkable Cities
* Sept. 29th SRTS Webinar: Teens Go Green Program
* Rail Trails: Why They Matter
* 2009 Transit Initiatives & Communities Conference
Issue #235 September 2, 2009
* How Does Your State Stack Up? Get the Facts
* Trans. Policy Shouldn't Be Just Stats
* Bike Maker: Surge in Cycle Commuting in USA
* School Districts, in the Red, Cut Yellow Buses
* APBP Webinar: Ped Safety Assessments: Calif. Lessons
* ARTBA Offers Effective PR, Crisis Prep. Webinars
* Canadian Politician Charged in Cyclist's Death
* Bikes Belong Brings Global Best Practices to U.S.
* Deadline Looms for Neighborhood School Grants
* Could the Recovery Act Help Reinvent Government?
* Study: People Will Pay More for Walkable Neighborhoods
* Ask Google Maps to Generate Biking Route Maps
* Roads That Are Designed to Kill
* Is "Green" the New Look of Pavement?
* New Nav IPhone App Tackles Distraction Problem
Issue #234 August 19, 2009
* Dr. Bertini Goes to Washington
* Special Kids Learn Bicycling
* Property Values: Walkable vs Auto Neighborhoods
* Portland Reports Lowest Traffic Fatalities Ever in 2008
* Bikes Belong Awards $40,000 in Grants
* Car Free Zones Proposed around Danish Schools
* HSRC Awards 10 Pedestrian Safety Grants to Local Groups
* Netherlands, U.S. Took Different Traffic Safety Paths
* ACA Lands 3 Grants for U.S. Bike Route System
* Post Office Closures Making Sprawl Worse
Issue #233 August 5, 2009
* It's August! Meet with Your Members of Congress!
* American Idle
* Blumenauer Introduces Green Routes to Work Bill
* McCain & Coburn Confuse "Safety" & "Boondoggle"
* Brookings on "Other Highway Funding Crisis"
* $1.5B in Tiger Grants to be Awarded in Jan. 2010
* American Trails Highlights Youth and Conservation Corps
* Rubber Sidewalks Give Bounce to Concrete
* Celebrating 6Th NSCL Bipartisan Bike Ride
Issue #232 July 22, 2009
* President Touts "Smart, Sustainable Development"
* Blue Cross, NCBW Offer Train-The-Trainer Course
* T.A. Reports on New York City's Traffic Enforcement
* Topeka (KS) Complete Streets Pep Rally
* MI Smart Commute Site Helps People Change Habits
* Wisconsin Adopts Complete Streets Law
* RTC Goes to Bat for Railbanking...Again
* Seattle, Cascade Bicycle Club Sued over Trail Plans
* MA Safe Routes Program Offers Summer Programs
* SCBC's "Safe Routes" Launches Family Rides Series
* Webinar: Parent Attitudes & Student Travel
* Sharon D. Banks Award Nominations Due 8/31/09
* "Trips for Kids" Opens 68th Chapter In Wisconsin
* Learn to Conduct Bike & Ped Counts, Surveys
* Colorado Counties Seek Authority to Ban Bikes
* NHTSA: Drunk Driving Down, Drugged Driving Up
* Livablestreets Applauds Massachusetts Trans Bill
* Parents Lack Confidence to Change Kids' Behavior
* Alliance, Planet Bike Grant Goes to Miami Group
* Boston Region MPO Interactive Bike/Ped Database Online
Issue #231 July 8, 2009
* What's up with the Obama Trans. Law Extension?
* Time for Another MacFadden Adventure
* July 18 Webinar: Counting Bicyclists and Pedestrians
* Transportation Advocates Discuss Draft Trans. Bill
* APBP Susie Stephens Scholarship Applications Open
* Leaders Break Ground on Colorado Stimulus Bike Path
* FHWA Updates Arra 120-Day Redistribution Q&A
* Access Board Issues Accessible Ped Signal Guidance
* Walk21, APBP Pro Development Seminar Coming!
* New Jersey to Improve Walk to Transit Stations
* Bicycling Jumps 16% in Santa Barbara
* Interior Sect'y Designates 22 Trails in 13 States
* ACA Seeks 2009 "Bicycle Heroes" Nominees
* San Diego Gets $15M in New Ped/Bike Projects
* Call for Context Sensitive Solutions
* Obesity Policies are Failing in America 2009
* UK "Travelsmart" Program: Revolution at Your Doorstep
* Sharrow Cam Tells Long Beach Green Lane Story
* Bike Law Enforcement on Chicago's Sheridan Road
* NRDC, CLCV Release Calif. Sustainable Communities Guide
* Study Analyzes Density, Driving, & Gas Consumption
* Kids Deserve Declaration of Independence's Promise
Issue #230 June 24, 2009
* Breaking News: The Next Federal Transportation Bill
* Correction from June 10th Issue of CL
* "Livability Principles" to Guide Sustainability Policy
* EPA's Jackson Praises Denver's 'Highlands Garden Village"
* Transportation for America Wants Your Commute Story!
* Oberstar Tweets About His MPR Interview
* Kansas Cyclist Interviews Kenneth Walker
* NYC Active Design Guidelines Shine at Fit City 4 Conference
* Bike Pittsburgh Launches "Car Free Fridays"!
* Kodak American Greenways Program Awards Deadline Extended
* Traverse City (MI): Smart Commuters + Bike Friendly
* Can a Walkable Seattle Area Cut Greenhouse Gases?
* New Arlington (VA) Trail, Bypasses a Mile Of Hazards
* San Luis Obispo (CA) Council Budgets $4 Million for Bikes
* Tony Hawk Skateboards in White House
* Worldwide, Urbanites Healthier than Suburbanites
* Cascade Bicycle Club Endorses Seattle Area Candidates
Issue #229 June 10, 2009
* An Inspiring New Book + A Special Price for CL Readers!
* APBP Webinar: Bicycle Master Plans With Peter Lagerwey
* Advocates: Contact Senators About SRTS Bill
* New York Complete Streets Bills Introduced
* Opinion Survey: Next AASHTO Pedestrian Guide Edition
* Edmonton (AB) Funding $17M In Ped/Bike Connections
* CT Assembly Passes Amended Complete Streets Bill
* ALR 2010 Conference Seeks Abstracts, Award Nominations
* Local Govt. Commission To Host Complete Streets Symposium
* Rep. Blumenauer Shares his National Bike Priorities
* New York City: Biking Up, Crashes Down
* Dept. of Energy $$ for Energy Conserving Trans. Projects
* On Urban Streets, 3 or 5 Ft. Clear Zones Better than 10 Ft.
* Alliance Grants $125K to Start-Ups, Innovative Campaigns
* Deadline for RTCA Trail Grant Proposals: Aug. 1, 2009
* Blogging the International Bike/Ped Scan
* Check Out "Streetswiki"!
* Spring 2009 SRTS Program Tracking Brief Now Available
* PBIC Launches Updated Image Library
* Google Maps Make Life Easier for Bike Walk Twin Cities!
* Comments on "RTP" & "TEA" in Next Trans. Bill
* Madison (WI) Invites Folks to "Ride the Drive" Aug. 30Th!
* Webinar - Green Main Streets: Practical Steps
* Univ. of Calif. Davis Survey: 40% Bicycle to Campus
Issue #228 May 28, 2009
* Bicycle Master Plans Webinar Scheduled for June 17th
* The Long, Ugly Road to New Federal Trans. Bill
* Will Your U.S. Rep Support Active Transportation?
* Safe Routes Senate Bill Sets Stage for Trans. Bill
* Oberstar: ARRA Creates 100,000 Jobs to Date
* LaHood: Obama Admin. Won't Push Fuel Tax Hike
* Bikes Belong Awards $49,500 in Grants
* CNT Study Compares City, Suburban Household Emissions
* Free Complete Streets and CSS Webinar
* Colorado Bicycle Safety Bill Signed into Law
* AARP Warns: Plan Now for Next Gen. Older Drivers
* AASHTO Wants Your Summer Highway Stories
* Vienna (AT) Housing Project Targets Bicyclists
* Bikes Belong Research Symposium Achieves Goals
* Call for Best Practices in Context Sensitive Solutions
* Kansas City (MO) Council Approves New Development Code
* Brian O'Neal: Leader, Visionary, Public Servant
Issue #227 May 13, 2009
* NCBW Adds New Planner to Staff, Opens NJ Office
* Bicycle Master Plans Webinar Scheduled for June 17th
* NCBW Team Visits Pro Walk/Pro Bike 2010 Site
* Oberstar Outlines Reauthorization Bill Priorities
* T4America Unveils Trans. Reform Blueprint on Capitol Hill
* Action Strategies Toolkit Offers Concrete Resources
* Hawaii Governor Signs Complete Streets Bill
* Big Boost for Cycling, Walking in NJDOT Plan
* Laval (QC, CA) Gets Door-to-Door Bike/Walk Advocacy
* May 12 Webinar: "Safe Routes to School in Rural Communities"
* BikeWalk VA Asks Gov to Support Rails-with-Trails Bill
* League of American Bicyclists Ranks States
* 2010 TRB Annual Meeting, TRR: Calls For Papers
* Deb Hubsmith Riding Handcycle Due to Knee Injury
* Smart Travel and Thinking Highways
* Last Days for CNU 17 Early Bird Registration
* May 14 Webinar: "Context-Sensitive Solutions"
* If You Haven't Heard of Zakayo Nderi Yet, You Will...
* How Healthy is the Air You Breathe?
* A Little About National Bike Month...
* Show iReport How You Bike To Work!
* The Pedaling History Bicycle Museum to Close Its Doors
Issue #226 April 29, 2009
* NCBW Works on SRTS Projects in Minn.
* Sunday Parkways Webinar Scheduled for May 20th
* Transportation Secretary LaHood on Bikes and Bucks
* APBP Elects Officers, Adds New Members
* Thank You for Saving Florida's Trails!
* Missouri Gets Its 1st Bicycle Friendly Community Award
* Seattle's Peter Lagerwey Announces His Retirement
* Bicycles, Rolling Stops, and the Idaho Stop
* Register for 2009 Walk to School Day
* New Releases from CFLRI
* Virginia Tech Offers Sustainable Transportation Course
* Follow the Stimulus Money!
Issue #225 April 15, 2009
* FHWA Clarifies Enhancement Funding Guidelines
* NCBW Exec. Director Talks Cars to Fast Company
* Sunday Parkways Webinar Scheduled for May 20th
* Smart Growth Act of 2009 Introduced on the Hill
* Univ. of Oregon Student Honored for Bike Loan Program
* Accessibility Required in Recovery Act Projects
* Sorbanes, Reed to Introduce "No Child Left Inside" Bill
* May is Bike Month!
* Traverse City (MI) Group Backs Stimulus $$ for Trail
* Environmental Education Pgms Lead to Cleaner Air
* Philly to Close Gaps in 200+ Mile Bike Network
* Arkansas Gets its First Complete Streets Policy
* Alta, CCC Study Barriers to Bicycling
* Denver's Regional Transit Takes Positive Step
* Tennessee DOT Site Has Links to All State DOTs
* How Cyclists are Changing American Cities
* Grand Rapids (MI) Hosts Inaugural Bicycle Summit
* Portland (OR) to Host 2Nd National SRTS Conference
* Wichita (KS) New Midtown Multi-Use Path Opens
* Austin (TX) Starts Bike Share Program for City Staffers
* EPA Recognizes Healthier Aging Projects
* Rentabikenow.com Offers Rental Bikes in 144 U.S. Cities
* State ARRA Trans. Provision Implementation
Issue #224 April 1, 2009
* Congressman Oberstar (D-MN) in His Own Words
* Shared Roadway Markings (Sharrows) Webinar April 15th
* AARP Joins Call for Transportation Reform
* Hey! Tomorrow Is Deadline for Alliance Grant Inquiries!
* Bike Commuters Can Save Employers 27M Euros in Absenteeism
* LAB's Clarke Testifies Before Global Warming Committee
* New Federal Research: Moving Communities Forward
* Florida Trails Program Funds in Jeopardy
* Finding the Stimulus Projects Online: New York
* HUD, DOT Announce Sustainable Communities Initiative
* Kentucky Bike Commission Announces Paula Nye Grants
* U.S. Dept. of Energy Grants Can Fund Bike/Ped Projects
* Campaign Planning -- the One Street Way
* 2009 Int'l Bicycle Fund Student Bicycle Essay Contest
* Ohio's Bike/Ped Coordinator Retiring
* "My Top 20 Favorite Large US Cities: 20-16"
* HSRC to Fund 10 Walkable Neighborhood Pilot Projects
* Nat'l Traffic Scorecard: Congestion Drops 30% in 2008
* Watch L.A. Bus Rapid Transit & Check out the Bike Path!
* Bicycles: Governors Island's "Killer App"
Issue #223 March 18, 2009
* Complete Streets Bill Hits Senate & House
* City SRTS Alum Addresses National League of Cities Conference
* Sharrows Are Topic For Next Professional Development Webinar
* Specter, Blumenauer, et al Introduce Clean Tea Bill
* National Bike Summit 2009 a Huge Success
* Watch Bike Summit Speeches!
* Complete the Streets with Stimulus $$!
* Twin Cities to Get Bike Center, Bike Sharing
* America Walks, NCSRTS Offer Safe Routes Webinars
* Alliance Announces 2009 Advocacy Award Winners
* Traffic Bottlenecks Eased in 2008
* Wilkinson To Be Feted at Univ. of Oregon Gathering
* Georgia Bicyclists Ride to State Capitol
* Great American Main Street Awards
* 2-Way Traffic Restored on Sacramento (CA) Streets
* Podcast: What Does Future Hold for Trans Policy?
* Sign up for Rails-to-Trails' Early Warnings!
* AASHTO Debuts "Transportation TV"
* Making the Case for the Simple Street Grid
* Connecticut Groups Call for Congestion Pricing
Issue #222 March 4, 2009
* Level of Service Webinar - March 18th
* Obama Chooses Roy Kienitz for Transportation Post
* My Weekend at Powershift ‘09 -- Mark Plotz
* Stimulus Roadblock or Transportation Revolution?
* 2009 National Bicycle Summit is upon Us!
* New Neighborhood Safety Brochure Now Available
* Calif. Legislator Nell Soto was an SR2S Pioneer
* Portland (OR) Safe Routes Evaluation: Driving is Down
* Canada Funds $500M Sport/Rec Infrastructure Program
* UK's Sustran Promoting "DIY Streets"
* New Mobility Agenda Launches E-Newspaper
* Safer Crossings with Accessible Pedestrian Signals
* Car-Free Weekends on KCMO Cliff Drive Continue
* Announcing the Winner in First Centerlines Contest...
Issue #221 February 19, 2009
* Stimulus Tools-R-Us!
* Act Fast to Get Local Projects Funded with Stimulus $$!!
* Trails, Walking, Biking: $825M in Stimulus $$
* Boulder (CO) Mayor Chosen for Key Post in Obama Team
* Many U.S. Schools in 'Air Pollution Danger Zone'
* Lancaster University (UK) Doubles Bike Trips
* AT & NTTP Host Trail Training Website
* Videos Highlight 2009 APA Conference Venue
* Missouri Bike Advocates Converge on State Capitol
* SRTSNP: Creative, Safe Solutions to School Bus Cuts
* Free EPA Smart Growth Implementation Assistance
* Student Neighborhood Access Program Unique to Utah
* S.W. Florida Bike Dealers Push for Bridge Access
* T.A. Survey: 39% of New York City Drivers Speed
* Announcing First Ever Centerlines Contest!
Issue #220 February 4, 2009
* Bike Valet Service A Inaugural A Huge Success
* PedSafe-BikeSafe Webinar, February 18th
* Schoolyard Air Monitoring in Sudbury (ON)
* Bike Projects at Bottom of PennDOT Wish List
* Which DOT Programs or Projects Could Be Axed?
* BCM, et al Push for Maine Climate Impact Bill
* Bikes Belong Lobbying Hard in 2009
* Marin Co. (CA) to Spend $163K for Bike Parking
* SRAM Awards $400,000 to Thunderhead and Lab
* Seattle Installs On-Street Bike Parking
* CT Reps, Advocates: Stimulus $$ to Bike/Ped/Transit
* "Daylighting" Easy Way to Make Intersections Safer
* FHWA Census Trans. Planning Package Released
* Bike and Ped Roundabouts Getting More Popular
* Wichita (KS) Edges toward Bike and Ped Friendly
* Walk21 New York City Call for Papers Deadline: Feb. 29Th!
* Bloomington/Monroe Co. (In) Adopt Complete Streets
* One Street Launches "Bed and Bike America"
* Bike Share Program for DC NPS Employees Launched
* Webinar Set for Obesity-Related Policy Evaluation
* Key to Safer Roads Identified in Calif. Study
* PPS Talks Trends in Placemaking
* Bicycles Outsell Cars in Australia; Use Up Too
Issue #219 January 21, 2009
* An Opportunity To Make Things Right
* Upcoming Webinar: PedSafe, BikeSafe Program
* Last Chance To Assist With Roadmap Survey
* Petersburg (VA) Man Walks to D.C. to Honor Dr. King
* Poll: Americans Want Transit, Road/Bridge Repair
* Tools of Change Offers Webinars, Free Recordings
* Trans. Marketing Website: 1000 Comments & Counting
* Safe Routes Nat'l Partnership Focuses on Stimulus Bill
* $1 Million Gift Launches Denver Bike Share Program
* EPA to Issue School Siting Guidelines in 2009
* U. of Missouri-KC Announces Bike Film Series
* Mass. Governor Signs Bicyclist Safety Bill
* Better World Club Announces 2009 Gas Guzzler List
* N.J. Hospital Honored for Ped Injury Prevention Work
* Economic Stimulus: Walking and Biking Update
* A Great Year to Come to the National Bike Summit
* Safe Routes Webinar to be Held Jan. 27th
Issue #218 January 7, 2009
* ALRC Needs Your "Roadmap" Input
* Cycle Zone Analysis Tool Is Topic of Jan. 21 Webinar
* Obama Creating the First Urban Policy Office
* What Should Obama Know About Transportation?
* BHSI Reviews 2009 Bicycle Helmets
* Kanata (ON) School Adopts "Pace Car" Program
* '09 Safe Routes Conference "Call for Proposals"
* CBF Becomes Active Transportation Alliance
* New York City Report: "World Class Streets"
* Announcing Ontario Communities Walkon!
* Livablestreets Hosts "Boston Bikes Update Report"
* ACA, AASHTO Help States Create Nat'l Bike Network
* Training Opportunities With Project For Public Spaces
* Philly Pedal Co-Op Offers Christmas Tree Pickup
* Older Pedestrians at Risk In NJ-NY-CT Metro Region