2011 Centerlines Articles
2012| 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000
CenterLines Issue #294 December 21, 2011
* Pro Walk/Pro Bike® 2012 Call for Proposals
* 2011: Looking Back and Looking Ahead
* Senate Committee Unanimously Approves Safe Streets Amendment
* Call for Proposals: 2012 Toronto Complete Streets Forum
* Biking & Walking Projects Score Big with Tiger III $$
* Access Board Reopens Proposed Rights-of-Way Rule Comment Period
* NTSB Says States Should Ban Drivers from Using Cell Phones
* 'S-Hertogenbosch (NL) Elected Dutch Bicycle City of 2011
* Why Are Traffic Engineers Being Marginalized?
CenterLines Issue #293 December 7, 2011
* LAB Petition: Tell Senate "No" to Mandatory Sidepath Law
* House Republicans: Infrastructure Bill Won't Surface Until 2012
* Peter Koltnow, Original BFA Board Member, Died November 28, 2011
* Nat'l Cycling Groups Commend Improved FHWA Rumble Strip Advisory
* Nominations Open for Alliance's 2012 Advocacy Awards
* Cities, Quality Places, Real Estate, Walkable Urbanism
* NCSRTS Releases 3-Part "Getting Results" Resource
* MOBIEL 21 Spreads Belgium's "My Short Trips" Program
* 'How the Dutch Got Their Cycle Paths'
* The Transportation Planning Rule Every City Should Reform
CenterLines Issue #292 November 23, 2011
* Complete Streets: When Will Our Work be Complete?
* Federal Funding -- the Big and Bleak Picture
* U.S. Complete Streets Policies Surpass 300!
* Five Myths About Your Gasoline Taxes
* Bikes Belong Awards $62,500 in Grants
* Abu Dhabi Police: Temporary Blackberry Disruption Made Roads Safer
* The Trans Canada Trail: the World's Longest Trail
* London Planners Break Down Boundaries Between Cars & Pedestrians
* Belgium's Bike to Work Scheme Saves Employers 4 Million Euro
CenterLines Issue #291 November 9, 2011
* Legislative Update: We've Got a Draft Transportation Bill!
* PPS/NCBW Technical Assistance Grants Available
* PWPB® 2012: Building a Bicycle Culture in Long Beach
* U.S. Bike Sharing Program Study to Begin
* America Walks Adopts Fed Policy Platform to Advance Walking in U.S.
* Capping Urban Highways Can Help Reconnect City Neighborhoods
* Walk Friendly Communities Application Process Opens November 15
* Online Voting Opens for 2011 People Powered Movement Photo Contest
* Nominations Open for Alliance 2012 Advocacy Awards
* Velo Bike Share Program Catches on in Antwerp (BE)
CenterLines Issue #290 October 26, 2011
* Trans. Enhancements under Attack ("Bikers for Bridges" Launched?)
* Apply Now for Free Tech Assistance from PPS & Livability Solutions!
* APBP Announces 2011 Award Winners at Professional Development Seminar
* ESPA Accepting Applications for Accessible Trans Coalitions Initiative
* Nelson\Nygaard Opens its DC Presence
* "Messy Street Patterns" Boost Cities' Walkability
* ACA Announces National Bicycle Travel Award Winners
* Decreasing Fatality Rate in Belgian Traffic
* Moscow Builds its Very First Bicycle Lane (or an Obstacle Course?
CenterLines Issue #289 October 12, 2011
* Long Beach: the Most Bicycle Friendly City in the U.S.
* Project for Public Spaces Wins EPA Sustainable Communities Grant
* Long-Term Funding for Trails and Bike/Ped Facilities Still in Doubt
* Take the National Survey on Ped/Bike Data and Prioritization!
* 2011 Oberstar SRTS Award: Call for Applications
* How #1 Bike City, Minneapolis, Beat Portland, San Francisco & Boulder
* Missouri Schools Get New "Walk/Bike to School Savings Calculator"
* Boston to Provide Hubway Bikes to Low-Income Residents for $5/Yr
* Montana's Walk to School Day a Huge Success
* Nashville Area Sees More Walking & Bicycling
CenterLines Issue #288 September 28, 2011
* Last-Minute Deal Preserves Enhancement Funding...for Now
* Communities Across the Country Earn "Walk Friendly" Status
* Call for Applications: 2011 Safe Routes to School Award
* We've Got Safe Routes to Schools, Why Not Safe Routes to Universities?
* 10 Ways Colleges Encourage Students to Ditch Their Cars
* Got Complete Streets Info in Spanish?
* Edmonton (AB) Busy on Active Trans Projects
* New Mexico Gets New Driver's Manual
* Bike Walk Mississippi's "I Share the Road" Campaign
* Installing Philadelphia's First Bicycle Corral
CenterLines Issue #287 September 14, 2011
* To Enhance or Not to Enhance Transportation?
* Inflation, Not Bike Sharing, is Why the Gas Tax Isn't Enough
* Submit Your Tiger III Pre-Applications Now!
* APBP Pro Development Seminar Early Registration Discount Extended
* Walk21 Pre-Conference Workshop on School Transportation Set
* Spring 2012 SRTS Mini-Grant Call for Applications
* NCSRTS Announces 25 Fall 2011 Mini-Grant Recipients
* Good News: Bike Share Leads to More Bike Buying
* 600 Attended Minneapolis Nat'l SRTS Conference
* Europe's "Life Cycle" Project Ends
CenterLines Issue #286 August 31, 2011
* Placemaking: How to Engage your Transportation Agency (Part 3)
* Walking is Healthy, so Why isn't it Safer?
* Early Reg. Rates end 9/14/11 for APBP Pro Development Seminar
* New FTA Policy Makes it Easier to Walk & Bike to Transit
* NYC Student Activist Inspires Nat'l SRTS Conference Audience
* APBP Endorses NACTO Urban Bikeway Design Guide
* Too Much Trans Infrastructure, too Little Productivity
* Cycling Industry Gives U.K. Economy £3 Billion Boost
CenterLines Issue #285 August 17, 2011
* Civil Rights Group Demands End to Car-Centric Trans Policies
* Public Health Represented at DC Transportation Equity Fly-In
* Advocacy Advance Awards $100,000 in Grants
* One Street's Basic Bike Parts Pgm for Impoverished Communities
* TCAT Pushes for Complete Streets Across Province of Ontario
* Towns Enlarge Street Signs to Adapt to Older Population
* Dutch Test Charges Drivers for Using Their Private Cars
* Wisconsin Bike Fed Helps Bring $2M Bike/Ped Back to State Budget
* New York Gov. Cuomo to Sign Complete Streets Bill into Law
* San Francisco May Require Bicycle Access in Downtown Buildings
CenterLines Issue #284 August 3, 2011
* Placemaking: How to Engage Your Transportation Agency (Part 2)
* What Does the Debt Ceiling Deal Mean for Transportation?
* Call for Applications for SRTS Nat'l Course Instructor Training
* ALR Seeks Conference Abstracts and Award Nominations
* APBP 2011 Professional Development Seminar Coming to Charlotte (NC)
* Send Your Best Pics to Alliance Bike & Walk Photo Contest Pronto!
* Access Board Releases Rights-of-Way Guidelines for Comment
* SRTS Nat'l Conference Online Registration Ends August 5
* 2012 National Main Streets Conference Call for Proposals
* Walkscore Ranks 2500 Cities Using 2010 Census Data
CenterLines Issue #283 July 20, 2011
* What Bipartisanship Hath Wrought: Zilch for Bike-Ped in Senate Bill Outline
* Former D.C. DOT Director Klein Receives 2011 Bill Wilkinson Award
* New National Prevention Strategy Includes SRTS
* TRB Accepting Submissions for 2012 Annual Mtg, TRR
* ALR Seeks Conference Abstracts and Award Nominations
* Bikes Belong Awards $60,000 in Grants
* Bikes and Public Transport a Carbon Priority in Australia
* 2012 NARRP Conference Call for Sessions
* Montreal's Daily Path Volumes Soaring
* Carmageddon: Bicyclists Declare Victory in Race with Jetblue Flight
CenterLines Issue #282 July 6, 2011
* Placemaking: How to Engage Your Transportation Agency
* $2.5B in Rescissions Coming to a State DOT Near You
* New Alliance Partnership to Advance Open Streets Movement
* SRTSNP Releases its New Local Policy Guide
* Danish Cyclocross Champ Shows U.S. City Leaders Bicycling's Best
* World Congress on Mobility for the Future of Sustainable Cities
* Mr. Burden Prescribes Solutions for Cities Seeking Street Makeovers
* TRB Calls for "Modeling Pedestrians and Motorized Traffic" Papers
* Little Done to Make Cities Age-Friendly, Some Cities Taking Steps
* SRCC Announces Canada's First Bike Friendly Communities Awards
CenterLines Issue #281 June 22, 2011
* Placemaking: Streets as Public Places
* LaHood Announces up to $175M in 'Livability' Grants for Communities
* 2011 Walk21 List of Sessions & Presentations Released
* The Experiences of Women of All Ages Who Ride Bikes
* Reports from the APBP Women's Cycling Survey
* Bipartisan Policy Center Proposes Major Redesign of Federal Funding
* American Public Health Assn Announces New Trans Resources
* Dutch Study: High Cycling Percentage Mainly a Matter of Audacity
* Melbourne (AU) Bike Count Shows a Timely Transformation
CenterLines Issue #280 June 8, 2011
* Pro Walk/Pro Bike® 2012 Conference Website Goes Live
* What is Placemaking?
* Got Complete Streets & SRTS in Your Transformation Grant?
* LaHood: Equal Access to Transportation a Right for All Americans
* NTEC Releases Transportation Enhancements Spending Report
* Nonmotorized Pilots Brief Congress
* New SRTS Nat'l Conference Early Bird Registration Deadline: June 17
* As America Ages, a Push to Make Streets Safer
* Grassroots Fundraiser Nets over $31K for U.S. Bicycle Route System
* Many TRB Docs Now Available Free as Pdfs
CenterLines Issue #279 May 25, 2011
* The National Center for Bicycling and Walking (NCBW) Will Become a Program of Projects for Public Spaces
* Long Beach (CA) Welcomes Pro Walk/Pro Bike® 2012
* Through the Looking Glass
* Dangerous by Design Report Updated for 2011
* Sen. Harken Introduces Safe and Complete Streets Act of 2011
* U.S. Mayors Support Increased $$ for Bikes, Pedestrians
* Last Chance! Take the National Walking Survey Now!
* Alliance & Clif Bar to Replace 100K Car Trips W/Bike Travel
* AASHTO Approves New U.S. Bicycle Routes Across America
* Early Bird Registration Reminder for SRTS Nat'l Conference
CenterLines Issue #278 May 11, 2011
* Michigan DOT Promotes Bicycling on New Web Site & Youtube
* D.C. Offers $12K to People Who Move Near Work
* Alaska's Governor Proclaims May Bike Month
* Bike Share Program Announced for Greater Boston
* K.C. (MO) Joins Columbia, Springfield, St Louis as Bicycle Friendly
* MN Legislators Introduce Bills Supporting Bicycling
* Illinois to Start Tracking Bicycle 'Dooring' Collisions
* Trek Bicycle Donates Bike Sharing System to Madison (WI)
* Michigan Court: Curbs Part of Highway, Govt Immunity Doesn't Apply
* The Habit of Biking to Work: D.C. Survey
CenterLines Issue #277 April 27, 2011
* Byte-Sized Centerlines
* NCBW Wishes You A Happy (Belated) Earth Day
* National Complete Streets Coalition Releases New Report
* PBIC Announces Inaugural Walk Friendly Communities
* Bike Month 2011 is Almost upon Us!
* Recision Time in America - Will Your State Turn Back Bike & Ped $$?
* Take America Walks' National Walking Survey!
* NCSRTS Seeks Applications For Mini-Grants
* Toronto's Complete Streets Forum to be Held Thursday!
* Experts: Few Cities Making Their Streets Senior-Friendly
CenterLines Issue #276 April 13, 2011
* The Unlikely Advocate: Tim Johnson, Team Cannondale
* Urgent Action Needed to Fund Recreational Trails Program!
* The Economics of Urban Cycling
* Record Number of Proposals for Walk21 Vancouver
* Seeking Input for a Documentary on Speeding
* Schools for Cyclists: 10 Bike-Friendly Universities
* Complete Streets Coalition Heading to Texas, Maine, Tennessee
* Registration Opens for Walk to School Day 2011
* APBP Announces Women Cycling Photo & Video Contest Winners
* UK Govt. Kills off Cycling England Program
CenterLines Issue #275 March 30, 2011
* New ADA Rules Went into Effect on March 15th
* Call for Proposal Deadline Looms for SRTS Nat'l Conference
* TRB Wants Comments on Possible Speed & Safety Subcommittee
* Mapping Bicycle Mode Share Where You Live
* Access Board Seeks Comment on Access to Shared Use Paths
* Maryland's Optional Stop Signs
* Univ. of Alaska/Fairbanks Approves Bike Rental Program
* 2011 "Georgia Rides to the Capitol" a Big Success!
* Kansas' 3-Foot Passing/"Dead Red" Bill up for House Vote
* Crookston (Mn) Decides to "Take the Stairs"
CenterLines Issue #274 March 16, 2011
* New York, New York: Separated Bicycle Facilities, Home Runs and Balks
* Letting Bicycling Save the Economy
* FTA Warns Transit Agencies to Make Equity a Priority
* You Can Call Him "Walker"...
* Safer, More Livable Streets through Bike Lanes
* The Cost of Incomplete Streets: $3M Jury Award in MD. Pedestrian Death
* A Must Read: Rage Against Your Machine
* NACTO Releases Bikeway Design Guide
* Cyclists Descend on Capitol Hill, Ask Lawmakers to Preserve Bike $
* U.S. Bicycle Route System Hits 30-State Milestone
CenterLines Issue #273 March 2, 2011
* Is it "Forward to the Past" for Tiger Program?
* GOP Budget Attacks Clean Air Act and its Benefits
* How Bicycling Will Save the Economy (if We Let It)
* Bikes Belong Awards $40,000 in Grants
* Key Deadlines for the 2011 Safe Routes National Conference
* PBIC Launches New Bike to Work Website
* Ambassadors Seek Prescott (AZ) Bicycle Solutions through Trip
* Submit a Film for the 2011 Bicycle Film Festival
* UK Government Funds Greener Transport Nudge
* Streetfilms Begins "Moving Beyond"
CenterLines Issue #272 February 16, 2011
* Transportation Budget Battles
* Congressional Bike Ride in Honor of Rep. Gabby Giffords
* Philadelphia to Build Trail on top of Manayunk Bridge
* Boston: from Bad to a Bicycling Mag "Future Best City"
* Anchorage Celebrates Winter Bike Festival 2011
* D.C. Cyclists, Pedestrians Call for More, Better Enforcement
* As Minneapolis Bike Use Climbs, Rate of Crashes with Vehicles Falls
* Anti-Livability Bill Passes Virginia House Committee
* Join the 2011 Cross-Jersey Walking Challenge!
* Nassau Co. (NY) Pike Still Region's Most Dangerous Road
* Penalty for Killing Florida Cyclists Inadequate
CenterLines Issue #271 February 2, 2011
* Federal Transportation Legislation Update
* Last Call for the National Bike Summit!
* National Search Nets New Complete Streets Instructor-Trainees
* SRAM Cycling Fund Awards SRTSNP $175K Grant
* Bikes Belong Foundation Launches Research Grant Pgm
* APBP Announces 2011 Officers
* New Dept. of Justice Trail Rules Go into Effect 3/15/11
* Re:Streets Conference and Design Manual
* NCSRTS Announces 25 Mini-Grants Recipients
* Walk Score Introduces Better Way to Measure Walkability
CenterLines Issue #270 Janurary 19, 2011
* America Bikes Board Meetings with Secretary Lahood
* New Resources on Federal Nonmotorized Transportation Programs
* A Transportation Lawyer Looks at Dr. Rev. King, Jr.
* Actually Roads Don't Pay for Themselves
* NHTSA Working to Fulfill New Ped Safety Enhancement Act
* RTC is Looking for Rail-Trail Champions
* Walk21 XII Call for Proposals
* Request an Invitation to RTC's Urban Pathways Initiative Summit
* E.P.A. Faces First Volley from the House
* CDC Seeks Nominations for Obesity Prevention Initiatives
CenterLines Issue #269 Janurary 5, 2011
* NCBW Looks at the Year Ahead
* Oberstar to Receive Award at TRB Annual Meeting
* 51,000+ Sign Petition Objecting to AAA Money Grab
* Esquire Names Sadik-Khan a Genius Who Gives Us Hope
* Trips for Kids' Marilyn Price Receives PCFSN Award
* East Coast Greenway Completes Year of Record Growth
* LAB Announces New "Bikes on Bridges" Advocacy Report
* Playcore's "Pathways for Play" Gets Kids on the Trail
* Get Ready for the Active Living Research Annual Conference
* Richard Schwinn on Cutting Government Costs